When it comes to giving, we have a number of questions about giving money to God and the use of funds for the gospel. This blocks us from giving which is Satan’s plan to squeeze the church from spreading the gospel through ignorance and creating doubts in our mind.
To understand the Godly plan of giving we need to get back to scripture which is the manual for all humans who choose to follow Gods way of doing things rather than man’s way of doing things. Let’s have a look at the first book of the Bible Genesis and see what was on Gods mind when He created the World. In Gen 1:12 (KJV)
And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good
In Gen 1: 25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
These two passages of scripture reveal what was good for the Lord; that everything produces after its kind so a tomato seed cannot produce apples but tomatoes only. This is the eternal truth of Gods plan of sowing and reaping right from day of His creation till He comes back again.
The bible is therefore full of passages showing Gods love for His people through the principle of sowing and reaping, and sacrificing and giving to the Lord till we come to John 3:16 God so loved the world that He gave His only Son to us so He could have many sons and daughters with Him in eternity.
Giving is therefore Gods divine plan for us to experience His love and protection for us when the world is in total darkness. Let us therefore examine the different ways of Giving; its differences in motivation and implications. There are four types of “giving” in the bible. They are the
- Tithe- Its motivation is Obedience to God in returning what is due to Him
- First Fruits- its motivation is Generosity in giving your first
- Alms giving- its motivation is Compassion for the poor
- Seed offering – its motivation is faith and Reward of 30, 60 or a 100 fold.
Tithe: It is a tenth of your income or earnings. It is holy unto the Lord as it belongs to Him.
Gen 14:19-20 Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
We therefore see that Abram gave tithes before the Law of tithes was defined in Lev 27. Tithes therefore existed before the Law it continued during the time of Jesus in Mat 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
And continues even today as Jesus who lives is now the High Priest of our tithe in Hebrews 7:8
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Here are some questions I will answer on tithes
- Who do you pay your tithes to? Your tithes go to your local church where you are being nourished in the Word. That church should be a Holy Spirit filled, bible believing church, anointed fertile ground for the gospel where the Presence of God dwells and people are being saved because it is His storehouse. If you belong to a church that is not Holy Spirit filled but following religion then pray and ask the Lord to reveal His church for you to fellowship where you can grow and tithe there.
- Can I use my tithes as an offering? No! your tithe is separate from your offering. Many people’s giving is out of order as they use it as an offering and hence their finances are out of order.
- What if I am a student or on the benefit and not working? Give a tenth of what you receive to the Lord. If you are not working then the fact you are alive is proof of God’s love and mercy and grace. Just do what the Lord puts on your heart. Remember your tithe belongs to and is holy unto the Lord and is a Blessing Connector.
- How do I tithe? Do not simply throw your money into the box. Pray over it before placing it in the box. Your money represents you, your strength, energy, your time and effort in your job and the favour of God in giving you the job. So you thank God for everything and bringing you out of darkness into His marvellous light, out of bondage into freedom. It is therefore sacred unto the Lord for it belongs to Him and you belong to Him. Assign a tax to your tithe and direct it towards your particular need and then release it
- What if I have never tithed before? Tithing is a Christian principle for those who are in Christ. If you have never tithed as a Christian you simply need to repent for robbing God of what was due to Him and ask the Lord to show you what He desires you to do. Remember there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ who walk not after the flesh so there is no guilt for not having tithed before if you sincerely repent and make a firm decision to start tithing and dedicating your life fully to the Lord. God does not need our money He sees and wants our obedient heart.
I do hope this teaching will minister to you and give you a better understanding of why we do what we do. I pray the Lord will open your heart to receive this word and change your thinking. If you do have any queries please direct it to the email address on the ICLC website.